The body shape is all about proportion, and fashion is all about dressing those proportions to look their very best.
Each of us have our unique shape. Our body shapes are narrowed down to five categories, pear, wedge, rectangle, apple and hourglass. You might fall into one category, or you might be a blend of two or more categories.Once you know your body shape, you can consider which fashion trends to follow. Here are a couple of tips to follow.
- Pear shape
For people with the pear body shape your lower body is wider than your upper body. Your bottom is rounded and your waist is well-defined.
When dressing for this shape you need to place emphasis on your waist and arms as those are your best assets. Play around with sweetheart, scoop-neck or plunging. Try interesting hemlines on dresses that slim the hips and thighs, like the hi-lo trend or a tulip skirt.
Dos and don’ts
- DO try A-line skirts
- DO keep hems of pants, skirts and dresses wide to balance the hips.
- DO experiment with light-colored tops and dark-colored bottoms for contrast.
- DO look for boat neck tops, square and cowl necklines.
- DO wear strapless dresses to show off arms and even out proportions.
- DO try styles with ruffles on top.
- DO wear jackets that hit right above the waist.
- DO opt for pointy-toed shoes to elongate your legs.
2. Wedge- shape
Also known as the inverted triangle, this body shape features a broad chest and wide shoulders with narrow waist and hips. Accentuate your lower body as your while softening your shoulders and upper body.
Dos and don’ts
- DO wear bright colors on bottom.
- DO wear wide-leg pants.
- DO wear full skirts.
- DON’T wear spaghetti-strap tops.
- DON’T wear boat neckline tops.
- DO experiment with high-waisted styles.
- DO look for clothes that create the illusion of a waist.
3.Rectangle body shape
For rectangle or ruler body types, create curves and show off your slender legs and arms. A sweetheart neckline is recommended as it adds some curve. A pencil skirt with a side-slit shows off your legs and adds visual interest. Building dimension on a straight body type can consist of wearing belts to define the waist and layering items like accessories or tops. A great alternative to a dress for a rectangle-shaped body would be the crop top and skirt sets that are currently on trend.
Do’s and dont’s
- DO wear scoop neck and sweetheart tops to create curves.
- DO wear long jackets to create a lean look.
- DO wear tops with collars, ruffles and details to flatter your chest.
- DO wear a good bra that will make the most of what you have.
- DON’T wear overwhelming styles.
- DO layer to add more dimensions.
- DO wear dresses with ruching. Cinches on sides are ideal.
- DO have fun with colorful bottoms… feel free to experiment
4. Apple shape
Apple shaped bodies have a fuller, rounder torso with a minimal waistline. Most of your weight is above the hips. It’s important to lengthen your body. Select dresses that have necklines that elongate your figure, like V-neck. Dresses with an A-line. A way to create a waistline and draw attention away from the mid-section is to wear a structured jacket with a dress. Elongate the torso and show off your legs.
- DO go for monochromatic looks.
- DO go for v-neck tops to create the illusion of a longer torso.
- DO wear a bra that offers good lift and support.
- DO wear belts at the smallest part of your waist.
- DO wear empire tops and dresses.
- DO wear boot cut and flared jeans to create an even line from the shoulders down.
- DO wear shorter skirts to show off your legs and draw attention away from your midsection.
5. Hour-glass shape
Balance, balance, balance is the key to selecting for an hourglass-shaped body! Keep the proportions of a fuller bust even with the proportions of fuller hips and thighs. Search for dresses that have a fitted top half and hug your waist to avoid adding bulk. As with those who have apple-shaped bodies, hourglass bodies should wear dresses with V-necks or sweetheart necklines to slim down the bust. Make sure you show off your curves.
Dos and don’ts
- DON’T hide your curves with baggy clothing.
- DO wear a good bra and showcase your bust.
- DO wear fitted dresses.
- DO wear a belt at the waist to enhance your hourglass shape.
- DO try wrap dresses.
- DO go for high-waisted skirts.
- DO pick thin, lightweight styles and fabrics.
- DO wear skinny or straight leg jeans.