Ofe Owere is a local delicacy common to Owerri, Imo state. It is a delicious meal prepared with a blend of natural herbs, dried seeds, assorted meat, and fish. It is quite expensive to prepare because of the assorted meat ingredients used to prepare it.
- 1.5kg Assorted Meat
- 6-15 snails
- 2 dry fish
- Stockfish head
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup, sliced Uziza leaves
- 4 cups, sliced fluted pumpkin leaves
- 6 tbsp, crayfish
- 3 cubes, seasoning
- 2 gm, mashed cocoyam
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 1 tbsp, ogiri [Traditional seasoning made from melon]
- Salt to taste.
- Wash the assorted meat thoroughly, add salt, onions and one cube seasoning and steam till it’s tender and set aside.
- Debone and wash the Dried fish and stockfish.
- Add 3 cups of water to the meat, add dried fish, stockfish, crayfish and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the palm oil, 1 cube of seasoning and the snail and boil for 10 minutes.
- Add a cube of seasoning, pepper, and salt to taste.
- Add the mashed cocoyam and allow to boil and dissolve for 10 minutes. Add the ukazi leaves and allow to simmer for 4 minutes and then add the fluted pumpkin leaves and simmer for 2 minutes.
Serve with akpu or pounded yam.